You learn something new every day.

Of a more serious nature, but still just as good.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Psychology Assignment

For a psychology paper, I am supposed to choose a research article on a topic I am interested in and then write about it or something. So I scoured the online articles in the HBLL for something about SSA, being as how I have been reading about it lately.

I ended up choosing an article about "mixed-orientation" marriages. I actually found two articles on this. One study took a sample of religious people whose mixed marriages were successful. A survey was distributed that evaluated different aspects of the marriage--what was good, what was bad, what was difficult, what kinds of problems and successes there were, etc. The other article discussed why mixed marriages were unsuccessful. I didn't like this article because there were way too many variables (not all parties in the marriage were aware of same-sex attraction, bad motives for getting married, etc.) and it studied mostly non-religious couples. Seeing as how I am religious, and that I'm an optimist, I was more interested in the religious aspect of the subject and how people could make this situation work.

Overall it was a good article. In general, both partners were happy with their marriage and were hopeful for the future. Some couples indicated extramarital affairs, but for the most part those challenges had passed, and most indicated they were happy with their partners. Couples said that communication was extremely important and that church was a huge support factor for them.

That was it, in a nutshell. I didn't like how they designated the homosexual spouses as "strugglers," and I don't think they went into enough detail on parenting. Also, because so little research has been done in this area, we can't necessarily apply these results to all mixed-orientation couples.

The article was titled: "In Tact Marriages in Which One Partner Dis-Identifies With Experiences of Same Sex Attraction: A Follow-Up Study" by Mark A. Yarhouse and Robin L. Seymore

This is the link to the article in the HBLL, but you will probably need a BYU net ID and password to access it:
http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?vid=9&hid=105&sid=3e488cc4-5171-4754-8ed8-ebb8fd2be3d1%40sessionmgr102

2 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

You should ask someone who knows...I do. I'm the SSA member of a mixed-orientation marriage, and I have been for 20 years. Ask Smurf and AtP about me.

Not that I'm particularly keen on being a psychology assignment, I just think good information is better than summary reports.

Best of luck on the assignment--I hope you get an A simply for choosing a topic near and dear to my heart. :)

5:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

She'll Get an A. She is a genius.

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home