You learn something new every day.

Of a more serious nature, but still just as good.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Maybe that last post was a little dramatic.

There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them. Whenever I'm sad I'm going to die, or so nervous I can't sleep, or in love with somebody I won't be seeing for a week, I slump down just so far and then I say: "I'll go take a hot bath."

I meditate in the bath. The water needs to be very hot, so hot you can barely stand putting your foot in it. Then you lower yourself, inch by inch, till the water's up to your neck...

I never feel so much myself as when I'm in a hot bath.

I lay in that tub on the seventeenth floor of this hotel for-women-only, high up over the jazz and push of New York, for near onto an hour, and I felt myself gowing pure again. I don't believe in baptism or the waters of Jordan or anything like that, but I guess I feel about a hot bath the same way those religious people feel about holy water...

The longer I lay there in the clear hot water the purer I felt, and when I stepped out at last and wrapped myself in one of the big, soft white hotel towels I felt pure and sweet as a new baby.
from The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath

1 Comments:

Blogger salad said...

I need a hot bath...Drex went out of town this morning :(

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home